Sunday, June 18, 2017

SAILING!!!!

"Watch Your Head"

My friend Karl kept yelling  "watch your head" as I headed out on my maiden voyage in my Sunfish.

You read that right - I finally sailed!

Karl, who use to sail with his dad,  helped me rig it, put the mast up and launch her. We had to bend the rudder holder on the transom so the rudder would fit and off I went. I'm sure the rudder holder has an actual name but I don't know it.

I went back and forth in the bay where my parents live, getting a feel for the wind when I had any, using the rudder, ducking under the boom and switching side of the boat (without tumping it even!) All the while Karl laughing at me, telling me I sounded like a little kid in my excitement and yelling at me to watch my head.


I saw a momma and her baby manatee right by the dock and out in the middle of the bay, tarpon the size of my Sunfish rolling at the top of the water.


I loved it! I knew I would.

I have a lot to learn and getting out in the river or the gulf is a ways off, but I'm excited about sailing. I have to buy all new lines and maybe put a seal on the bottom of my boat - it has sat for a long time unused - the two years I've owned it and years before sitting in its previous owner's yard.
Now my question is - do you name a Sunfish or is it just your sunfish? 




P.S. This food elimination situation is a real pain. Just in case you thought I was over it. Haha

No comments :

Post a Comment