Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Unstoppable

Theme Songs, Running, Friends, Funk, Coffee, Hog Nose Rays

I feel my life has a theme song that changes each day.
Some days, my theme song is obvious, other days I have to choose it and make the day fit because I want or need it to. Today, I went for a run in search of endorphins and chose to listen to a hockey locker room playlist I made in 2012 - an excellent mix if I do say so.

At first, I thought today's theme song was Wall of Voodoo's Mexican Radio:
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguanaI'd take requests on the telephoneI'm on a wavelength far from homeI feel a hot wind on my shoulder
I dial it in from south of the borderhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCEexG9xjw


Then as I ran on a damn near perfect running day - 65, sunny, humid, slight breeze - I let my mind unwind and the real theme song played in my headphones - Kat Deluna's Unstoppable:
You can talk all you want but my skin is really thickI'm the leader of a crowd and my game is really slickI'm unstoppableUnstoppableUnstoppableUnstoppable


Save your pity for tomorrowWhen I smash it like a ball in the clubOn the news, I'll be rockin' like a rockstarI'm unstoppableUnstoppableUnstoppableUnstoppable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW40rfp7aoQ


That's more like it or it's more like what I'm going to make it. 

Pre-run selfie. It was 57 here after all


So lucky to have this to run next to

Happy surprise along my run

A visit to the still untouched wooden sailboat














I have definitely been in a funk lately - mystery pain and sickness so I've been to a few doctors and had a few tests that show nothing  but we're still searching. My quality of life dropped off. I hadn't run in over a week and work was suffering - weekday and weekend work. And I have been whiny - ask anyone - yesterday, I was a grumpy monkey for sure.

As Nina Simone sings:

Sun in the sky you know how I feelBreeze driftin' on by you know how I feel.
It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life for me yeah
ouh
And I'm feeling good
Blossom on the tree you know how I feel
It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good


Birds flying high you know how I feel
River running free you know how I feel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Y11hwjMNs


Some things that help with this idea of a new dawn, a new day include running, yoga, daily texts and sharing between friends - Jess, Kate, Lisa, Tim, Courtney, Dougie, Bev; daily coffee visits to chat with Oscar and get my vat of caffeine; the glorious sunshine; visiting friends Brad, Karen, Lynn and their lovely children, along with Elana - sweet, funny, positive, quirky, smart Elana with her endless energy and her wonderful new family; Jess's mom Erin - kind, thoughtful, insightful and a pistol; new friends; new acquaintances; the idea of house and sailboat projects and getting them done; power tools; flip flops; sunrises; sunsets; daytime moons; and daily surprises such as thousands of hog nose rays showing up at the marina last weekend.



Cownose Rays at Pelican Pier

Full moon rising

Pine tree pose





Flip flops and basketball season!


Ugly fish in the shrimp tank














Ready to cut through some drywall

No comments :

Post a Comment